MOVING BEYOND SIGHT
About The Workshop
Participants in the “Dialogue in the Dark” business workshops face the
experience of temporarily losing the most dominant sense – their sight –
which results in a dramatic slowdown of everyday routines.
The workshops conducted in total darkness helps one to test one’s limits
leading to a tangible experience of combining emotional intelligence and
The workshops are not based on the superficial effect of being in the dark. Participants spend two to three hours in the dark going through a series of team challenges with the assistance of blind trainers. The progression of exercises in complete darkness creates absolutely unpredictable situations. Since it is not possible to use one’s visual sense, one has to activate entirely new resources and unused potential to reach the set goal. The skills involved are of utmost importance in the dark and practicing them within the workshop has a lasting effect. This inspiring experience brings about dramatic insights for professional leaders in their everyday routines.
The benefits are re-enforced by an extended time for debriefing, reflection and
consolidation of learning. After returning to a lit environment, participants share their experiences, observations, surprises, frustrations, learning and especially their insights. The workshops are emotionally challenging, cognitively demanding and have lasting effects. The training’s are especially focused on skills to improve communication, leadership, team building and diversity. Our trainers, themselves blind or visually impaired are experts in non-visual perception; create a learning atmosphere of authenticity, empathy and openness.
Our workshops for social and emotional learning can be an important contribution to personality development, while enhancing human interaction and mutual understanding and thereby confirming the philosopher Martin Buber famous observation, stating that: “
The only way to learn is through encounter.”
DIALOGUE IN THE DARK
Agenda Of Workshop
- Brief introduction of agenda
2. Dialogue in the Dark Workshop (150 min)
3. Debriefing of the Workshop (60 min)
- Discussion focused on the intra- and inter-personal level of participants.
- Involvement and feedback of blind trainers.
- Transfer of the emotional experiences to the cognitive level, one’s professional career and personal growth.
- Reflections on communication and team unity experienced to bring participants towards a change of perspectives in understanding team bonding and communication within diversity.